Stuff in the ‘1st-Degree Murder’ Category
The trial of a Chicago man jailed since October 2007 in connection with a Plainfield murder is set to start Thursday morning.
Jury selection for Ricardo Gutierrez’s trial started and finished Wednesday.
Gutierrez, 23, allegedly gunned down Javier Barrios, who was 18 when he was killed.
Barrios, a Romeoville resident, was first shot by his ex-girlfriend, 24-year-old Gabriela Escutia, police said.
Escutia allegedly set up a rendezvous with Barrios in a field on Route 59 near a Meijer service station. Gutierrez reportedly joined her for the meeting.
Escutia has confessed to shooting Barrios as he sat in his car, according to a complaint for a search warrant. After firing once, the complaint said, the gun jammed.
Escutia cleared the gun but Gutierrez took it from her and shot Barrios twice more, the complaint said. Gutierrez told police he tossed the gun away on Interstate 55 after shooting Barrios, the complaint said, but Escutia believed he held on to it and brought it back to his home in Chicago.
Escutia and Gutierrez were captured at the residence in Chicago. A search of the home failed to turn up the handgun.
Escutia had sought and secured an order of protection against Barrios two and a half weeks prior to the killing. In her petition for the order she claimed Barrios pushed her down, slapped her, and broke her car window and a headlight. Escutia also accused Barrios of harassing her and “calling and leaving messages.”
Escutia’s case remains pending. She has a March 8 court date.
Before picking a jury, prosecutors and Gutierrez’s attorney, Jeff Tomczak discussed what witnesses might be called at the trial and pointed out that a detective who investigated the case, Troy Kivisto, is no longer a member of the Plainfield Police Department.
In January 2011, sources identified Kivisto as the off-duty Plainfield cop who barricaded himself in his car in Chicago’s South Loop. The officer reportedly threatened to harm himself but was coaxed out of the car by Chicago police after about two hours.
A Chicago police spokesman said at the time the off-duty officer was “distraught for personal reasons.”
A source said Kivisto was recently arrested outside Will County.
Elmhurst Patch reported that a Troy A. Kivisto, 46, was arrested twice in November. On Nov. 24, he was charged with trespass and possession of liquor on public property after a woman walked into a garage in the 200 block of North Larch and allegedly saw him crouching behind her vehicle, police said. On Nov. 26, he was charged with criminal trespass after police found him passed out in the back yard of a home in the 200 block of North Larch, police said. He was reportedly taken to Elmhurst Memorial Hospital because he was intoxicated.
Ricardo Gutierrez was 18 in 2007 when he was charged with murder for allegedly taking part in the fatal shooting of a Romeoville teenager in Plainfield.
Jury selection began Wednesday in Gutierrez’s trial in Will County court.
Javier Barrios, 18, was shot to death Oct. 28, 2007, behind a gas station near 135th Street and Route 59.
Police say Gutierrez, now 23, and Barrios’ ex-girlfriend, Gabriela Escutia, are responsible. The two were arrested on first-degree murder charges two days after the shooting.
Escutia’s case has not yet gone to trial.
Gutierrez and Escutia, 24, remain in the Will County Jail in lieu of $5 million bond. At the time of the shooting, the two were allegedly dating, authorities said.
Witnesses said they heard shots ring out in the late afternoon near the gas station, saw a man stagger into a field south of the station and collapse, and watched his assailants drive away.
Barrios was pronounced dead at the scene.
Earlier that month, Escutia filed a petition for an order of protection against Barrios, a record that had led detectives to her during their investigation of the shooting, police said.
Sentencing March 28: Had Been Accused of Attempted 1st-Degree Murder of Stepfather
Jury Finds Saltzman Guilty
Sentencing March 28: Had Been Accused of Attempted 1St-Degree Murder of Stepfather
JOLIET — A jury on Thursday found 22-year-old Brent Saltzman guilty of attempted murder and aggravated battery for the beating of his stepfather, Will County Treasurer Jack Weber.
Weber’s daughters and his friends sat in silence as the judge announced the guilty verdicts on two counts of aggravated battery. But they cried out with emotion as the judge read the guilty verdicts on the two more serious charges of attempted first-degree murder.
Jurors deliberated for three hours and 40 minutes Thursday afternoon.
Saltzman faces up to 60 years in prison when he is sentenced on March 28.
The guilty verdicts capped five days of emotional testimony.
The prosecution presented evidence aimed at proving that Saltzman intended to kill his then 63-year-old stepfather by striking him repeatedly with his hands.
Saltzman’s defense attorneys presented no witnesses.
But through the cross-examination of the prosecution’s witnesses, they attempted to show that Weber fell during a family argument with his stepson and knocked his head against the bathtub and floor in the bathroom of his Shorewood home on Oct. 8, 2000. `A violent tyrant’
State’s Attorney Jeff Tomczak urged jurors not to believe the defense’s theory that Weber was the victim in a simple domestic squabble that got out of hand.
Tomczak pointed at the defendant and called him “a spoiled brat” and “a bully” who struck his mother and then began to beat Weber after his stepfather reached for the telephone to call police during the argument.
“These folks were living with a tyrant, a violent tyrant,” Tomczak said.
“This was a guy who wouldn’t even give a 63-year-old man the right to square off with him.”
During his closing comments, Tomczak accused Saltzman of giving Weber “a sucker punch” that knocked the treasurer cold.
The defendant then got on top of his helpless stepfather and repeatedly struck him, fracturing his skull in two places, shattering the bones on the left side of his face and causing internal brain injuries.
The respected Republican county treasurer, who is now 65, remains in a suburban rehabilitation center.
He is not expected to fully recover from his brain injuries. Conflicting testimony
Defense attorney George Lynch argued that Saltzman struck Weber with his elbow only once and that the treasurer suffered his life- threatening head injuries when he fell.
Tomczak, however, urged jurors to consider statements made to police and family friends by Weber’s wife, 51-year-old Bonnie Weber, who is the only witness to the brutal attack.
Bonnie Weber testified early this week that she did not see her son strike her husband.
But Tomczak, who held up photographs depicting Jack Weber’s injuries, reminded jurors that she had told friends and police investigators on the day of the attack that Saltzman had repeatedly struck her husband with his fists.
And he asked jurors to remember the tape of a 911 call that a desperate Bonnie Weber placed on the day her husband was attacked.
The state’s attorney quoted Bonnie Weber from the tape: “`My son tried to kill my husband.’ That’s the sum and substance of what Bonnie Weber saw.”
The defense did not know what to make of Bonnie Weber’s testimony.
Lynch conceded that she did not tell the truth.
But in a bizarre twist, the defense attorney suggested that police had botched the investigation by ruling her out too quickly as a suspect. Support for Weber
The courtroom was packed with Jack Weber’s friends and family members.
Among those in attendance were Joliet Councilmen Joe Shetina, who testified for the prosecution, and Robert Hacker.
Joliet Mayor Art Schultz listened to testimony on Wednesday afternoon.
And Will County Sheriff Brendan Ward also attended portions of the trial.
Retired restaurateur Earl D’Amico, a longtime friend of Jack Weber, was present for the entire trial.
Jack Weber belonged to a crowd that for 40 years had met for lunch at D’Amico’s Joliet restaurants.
“I’m here for the kids and out of my feelings for Jack,” he said.
“He’s a good friend.
He’s like a brother.”
Jack Weber’s daughters, Susan Dienslake and Judith Weber, have declined to comment while the trial was pending.
Susan Dienslake spoke through tears after the verdicts were announced.
“It’s been a very emotional and stressful week,” she said. “We’re very relieved that the trial is over.”
The sisters said they never doubted that Saltzman intended to kill their father during that beating.
They noted that Jack Weber had placed a deadbolt on his bedroom door out of fear that his stepson might harm him.
On the morning of the attack, Saltzman easily forced open the door, breaking the deadbolt and splintering the wooden frame.
Bonnie Weber sat quietly while waiting for the jury to return Thursday afternoon.
She pulled a rosary from her purse and prayed intently on a bench outside Judge Stephen White’s courtroom late in the afternoon.
Her ex-husband, Bunny Saltzman, who is Brent Saltzman’s father, placed a hand on Bonnie Weber’s shoulder when she buried her face in her hands.
She said Thursday that the jury had made “a giant mistake” and promised to appeal.
She insisted that the truth did not come out during the trial.